Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Shadow of The Wind

Novel by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It's a translated work. Okay, it gave me a pleasant surprise, so much so that I have to blab here, defying the temptation of sleeping (I've been labouring for 24 hours without sleep, reading, gaming and anime-ing). The flavour was quite strong, and it drew out all sort of nonsense forgotten emotions from me. It's been quite some time since I tasted a book as delicious as this. To be fair, the first two chapter bored me, but for some reasons I decided to not sleep last night, so this book kept me company. (10 episodes of Gunslinger Girl 2 too)

Really unorthodox narration, a style I've never seen in any books before this, maybe because it translated, hurm. Descriptions are a little tedious, I prefer simple sentences like those from Rowling, I'm of little brains after all. Plot's pretty interesting, coupled with beauties popping out of nowhere hahaha. Theme is something about relationships, family friends couples etc, brought out in a slightly cliche melodramatic style. Background is mid 20th century, mostly in Barcelona, Spain. Character development is the best card played in this novel. I actually felt very connected to the characters, and their respective place in the story. A pint of mystery, a slice of humour, a Knut of thrill, and a particularly strong dash of romance, recipe to make this book belong in my personal top 10 list. I duno, maybe because I've distance myself from drama stuff I'd become particularly susceptible to them. Overall, a satisfying reading experience.

PS: 1. I'm not less a child than when I was 8 years back.
2. I've yet to meet any hardship throughout my year, barely.
3. I'm no seer, but even I can see trouble is brewing for me.
4. Help me, if I'm a friend to you. Arigatou. =)

I feel sinful, drama is, after all, the essence of all evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment